Friday, September 5, 2008

Another Child?

Having another child has been weighing on my mind so much lately, I think because I don't know if it is the right thing to do or not? Should we or shouldn't we is what goes through my head on a daily basis. Do we risk losing another child? Do we risk the possibility of having a child with severe disabilities? Do we risk more heartbreak? I just don't know what to do? I guess I should re-phrase that as I don't know what is the RIGHT thing to do? I have always wanted to have multiple children but I am so afraid. I thought being pregnant is suppose to be an exciting, happy time? I long to have that in a pregnancy, just once. To enjoy the aches and the pains of a "normal" pregnancy without the intense fear of something horrible going wrong. I am so saddened at the FACT that I have been pregnant 5 times and dumbfounded by the fact that I only have one child here on earth with me. Yet, I am so grateful for having Mackenzie to love and watch grow so maybe I should learn to be content with her alone? However, my heart feels uncertain and our home feels too quiet and incomplete, but will those feelings outweigh and over take my fears?

I want to pray to God on this question but then I think why? What is the point? I prayed so hard and had so many people praying for us when I was in the hospital but it didn't make a difference. He still took them because he has his own plan. If he has his plan and is going to carry out that plan regardless of what I want, then praying won't make a difference? Right? I guess this is one way that I can look at what happened to us.

However, on the other hand I can think about all the prayers that I said and our family/friends said and admit that praying did work. I can hope that it was because of all those prayers that I was allowed to remain pregnant for 3 more weeks, which granted myself and my husband the opportunity to meet our sons alive. To hear them cry. To hold them. To touch them. To admit, that prayer allowed us to be with them and know they were safe and not in any pain when they died.

Which do I hold on too? The one where God has his own plan and no amount of praying will change that or the one that proves that prayer can change the outcome in the events of our life, even the horrible ones? Being stuck in the middle and leaning one way one day and the other the next day is where I am at right now. This is why I am so unsure of us having more children? How do I just take that leap of faith? Especially, when I know how devastating it can be when you are fighting to believe that everything is going to turn out okay and it doesn't. I want to know, HOW? If I knew how, if someone could explain it to me so I could understand it. I would do it but I need to know how? How to let go of it all...the fear, the questions, the uncertainty, the unknown? I will do it but I need to know how to take that leap of unwaivering faith.

3 comments:

boltefamily said...

Melissa,

I so wish I had some great words of wisdom, but I am right where you are. Your statement of does praying even matter since God has his own plan hit so close to home and yet I feel so guilty for thinking that.

Thanks for sharing and letting me know i am not alone on this path. I have no idea where it leads and I am in constant prayer about that but I am so glad we have eachother to connect with! I will be praying for you as you think about growing your family!

Much Love,

Kristy

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa!

I found your blog on Kristy's and want to share with you that I have been where you are now, feeling that your family is not complete but fearful of the pain of loss once again. I have completed that portion of my journey, four of my boys are keeping me very busy here on earth, while five of my little ones wait in Heaven for me. All I can tell you is that you will know. Just like you know your faith in God. Just like you knew your husband was "the one", you will know in your heart your desires and you will overcome the fear. And there will come a day when you will find peace. I often said, while others worried and wondered why we kept going through it, that I will never regret having the babies I never got to hold, but I would regret not trying to have the babies that I could have. I hope I have made sense and can help you, I wish there had been blogs like this when I was going through it, it is wonderful to be able to share!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Melissa!

I just wanted to encourage you today. I think it is great that you are willing to ask God those hard questions. Keep going to him, He can handle it! Remember, God is all about relationship, so who do you suppose would want you to believe that your prayers don't really matter? Yep, the father of lies--the one who knows his fate is sealed with eternal damnation. I struggle, too, and will be praying for you!

Blessings,

Dawn